Skip to Content

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, PA

In 1760 a group of congregants from Christ Church, supporters of the Rev. William Macclenachan, an Anglican minister of evangelical leanings, seceded from Christ Church. They drafted articles of agreement for a new church, St. Paul’s, and promptly set about raising funds to construct it. Built on Third Street, below Walnut, St. Paul’s opened for services in 1762 and remained an active congregation throughout the nineteenth century. The Church’s building still stands, now home to Episcopal Community Services. St. Paul’s records, housed at the Episcopal Diocesan Archives include vestry minutes, baptismal, marriage and burial records as well as some financial records.

Parent Collections

Items in this Collection (16)