Skip to Content

Search Results

Search Constraints

Number of results to display per page

Search Results

  • KKMI_logo.jpg
    Contributing Institution: Congregation Mikveh Israel, Philadelphia, PA
    Description: Congregation Mikveh Israel (officially Kahal Kadosh Mikveh Israel), is also known as the "Synagogue of the American Revolution". The oldest Congregation in Philadelphia, Mikveh Israel was informally established by religious minded Jews in British America during the 1740s, and has become the second-oldest surviving Congregation in the United States. In Pennsylvania, and Philadelphia in particular, Jews found an environment of tolerance for their religious beliefs and traditions made possible by William Penn's 'great experiment'. By 1775 a community 300 strong existed in a city of 35,000. Among items in the archives of Congregation Mikveh Israel are letters written by George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, and a public subscription list for the 1782 building signed by Benjamin Franklin, David Rittenhouse, and other civic leaders.
  • Third_PC.jpg
    Contributing Institution: Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA
    Description: Third Presbyterian Church began in 1761 as an extension of First Presbyterian Church, located in a house at Second and South streets. In 1768, the congregation of Third Church moved into their new building at 4th and Pine streets. The church called George Duffield as their new pastor in 1771, without the concurrence of First Church. The resulting rift cemented the split between First and Third. The congregation still worships at 4th and Pine today although the building has been extensively renovated since colonial times. The church is popularly known as “Old Pine” while its official name is Third, Scots and Mariners Presbyterian Church, reflecting two of the mergers that comprise the continuing church. Records scanned for this project include trustees’ minutes and pew records.
  • Manuscript: Passio Domini

    User Collection
    2b88qj47h?file=thumbnail
    Creator: McNamee, Maurice (Father), art consultant
    Contributing Institution: Concordia Seminary Library
    Description: Netherlands (southern?), ca. 1500-1520. Miniatures (24) of the Passion of Christ throught the Last Judgment with prayers on facing pages. Very similar to the style of the Masters of the Suffrages et al. (mid-15th to early 16th centuries). Cf. The Golden Age of Painting (Braziller, 1990), especially plates XII, 107-108, pp. 261-262 and text, pp. 298-299 (H.H.). Artistic features: borders and pictures painted by different artists; soldiers in Spanish armor suggest negative portrayal of Roman soldiers (Netherlands recently free of Spanish rule); footprints of Jesus on mount of Ascension demonstrates corporeal, not spiritual, body; note gardener''s hat in presence of Mary Magdalen after the Resurrection; structure in background of the Last Judgment may be a courthouse (M.M.). Physical description: manuscript on fine vellum; 4 1/2 in. x 3 1/2 in.; 31 leaves, including end pages (5 blank); text in gold and red ink; end pages and inside covers gold-leafed.
    Subject: Passion of Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, Books of hours, Prayer-books and devotions--Dutch, and Manuscripts
    Language: Dutch
    Publisher: Concordia Seminary Library
  • Xw42nf257?file=thumbnail
    Creator: Thomas, a Kempis, 1380-1471
    Contributing Institution: Concordia Seminary Library
    Description: Agnietenberg Monastery (Mt. St. Agnes, Netherlands), late 15th century. Manuscript closely follows the text of the autograph of 1441. Colophon uses the term “compilator” rather than “auctor” of Thomas (Haemmerlein) a Kempis, suggesting that he compiled the work “after his teachers at Deventer (notably so Gerard Zerbolt van Zutphen) had written the original versions of the four parts” (from notes by seller - Avalon Operating Corporation). A 15th-century library stamp on the first page of the text, with the letters SMAI surrounding a cross, suggests that the ms. was in the Agnietenberg Monastery, where Thomas lived, and thus might also mean that it is a direct copy of the original. Physical description: 108 leaves, fine heavy rag paper; 8 in. x 6 in.; flexible later vellum cover glued over paper ms. leaf; very neatly and legibly written in red and black ink; some trimming very close to marginal notes.
    Subject: Jesus Christ--Example and Jesus Christ--Meditations
    Language: Latin
    Publisher: Concordia Seminary Library
  • Gf06g3431?file=thumbnail
    Contributing Institution: Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Libraries
    Description: This collection includes the letters, lecture notes, articles, pictures, and sermons from the life of Robert E. Naylor.
  • Qr46r2095?file=thumbnail
    Contributing Institution: Princeton Theological Seminary Library
    Description: This collection includes primary source material on David and Jane Wales Trumbull. Materials include bound journals, student lecture notes, publications, correspondence, newspaper clippings, biographical information and photographic materials.
  • Wd375x462?file=thumbnail
    Contributing Institution: Princeton Theological Seminary Library
    Description: The Robert Elliott Speer Manuscript Collection at Princeton Theological Seminary Library consists of correspondence, sermons, addresses, notes, articles, diaries, clippings, photographs, scrapbooks, and other papers of this important missionary executive (1867–1947). The digital representation given here provides access to two major parts of the collection: papers related to missions, and all correspondence.
  • Kp78gm394?file=thumbnail
    Contributing Institution: Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary
    Description: The Methodist Manuscripts Collection of the Styberg Library at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary contains letters and other documents from prominent early Methodist leaders, like John Wesley (1703-1791), its founder, and his brother, Charles Wesley (1707-1788), who was also instrumental in the burgeoning movement. In addition, there are letters from Thomas Coke (1747-1814), one of the first American Methodist bishops, as well as Bishop Francis Asbury (1745-1816) and others. The earliest letter dates from 1736. The letters are addressed to many different individuals who were also important to the early years of the Methodist movement, like Richard Whatcoat (1736-1806), Thomas Rankin (1738-1810), and Thomas Morrell (1747-1838). Most notably, the collection includes John Wesley's last letter to America from 1791, addressed to Ezekiel Cooper, an important leader in American Methodism, urging him to advocate for unity within Methodism. This manuscript collection begins with the letters of John and Charles Wesley and will be supplemented with additional letters and materials.
  • 5t34sq816?file=thumbnail
    Creator: Smalley, Martha Lund, compiler and Yale University Map Collection
    Contributing Institution: Yale University Divinity School Library
    Description: Images of 300 historical maps and charts documenting the expansion of Christianity. Selected from historical atlases, histories of Christianity, and maps in the Yale University Map Collection, these maps and charts provide visual support for the teaching of church and mission history, and Biblical studies. The maps were published primarily in the 19th and early 20th centuries and illustrate the expansion of Christianity from the era of the early Church, through the height of the Western missionary movement, to the establishment of Christian churches throughout the world. The expansion of both Protestant and Catholic churches is documented. Geographical areas covered include Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, North America, and Oceania. Included among the sources from which materials were digitized is the 1922 work
    Subject: Religion, Church statistics, Missions, Church history, Christianity and other religions, Maps, and China
    Language: English
    Publisher: Yale University Divinity School Library
  • G445ck26d?file=thumbnail
    Contributing Institution: Pitts Theology Library
    Description: The digital images contributed by the Pitts Theology Library to the CDRI project are taken from books and pamphlets printed between 1500 and 1600. Most of these publications are part of the Richard C. Kessler Reformation Collection, and so derive from Martin Luther, his associates, and his opponents. Among these wood and metal engravings that have been digitized are illustrations of the biblical text, printers? marks, title-page borders, and portraits of famous religious and political figures.
    Subject: Bible illusrations, Woodcut title borders, Engraving, German, German Reformation, Luther, Martin, and Printer Devices
    Publisher: Pitts Theology Library