Filtering by: Date 1200~ Remove constraint Date: 1200~ Place Italy Remove constraint Place: Italy
Date: 1200~ Contributing Institution: Duke University Libraries Description: Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University);Format: Manuscript codex.;Title supplied by cataloger.;Layout: Written in 1 column of 41-52 lines; ruled; prickings visible in the head, fore edge, and tail margins.;Script: Greek uncial and minuscule from single hand.;Decoration: This is a richly decorated manuscript in that the divisions between every segment at the commencement of the various books is marked by penwork ornament, semi-uncial titles, and ornamental arrangment of the materials. Ornamental headpieces are provided for the Synaxarion, the Canon tables, and the opening of each of the Gospels.;Title cataloged from existing description.;Order of the books: Gospels, Acts, James, Pauline Epistles, General Epistles (except for James), Apocalypse. Eusebian section numbers, canon numbers in red in the margins; and marks such as the diplé are used in the margins to indicate Old Testament quotations. Letters of the alphabet are used as signes de renvoie as well as immense variety of free-form characters. Chapter headings and numbers appear in red throughout; lectionary citations appear in the margins. The chapter divisions are sometimes indicated with a red dot in the text with the number and respective kephalaia in the margin. Commentary on all books except the Apocalypse.;Binding: Contemporary Byzantine binding in second or third stage as evidenced by the oversewing of some of the quires. Textblock is sewn using the chain-link style of sewing; the boards are of soft wood covered in tanned leather with turn-ins at the head, fore edge, and tail; one triple interlaced clasp anchorage is preserved inside the back cover; two fore edge pins on front cover. Decoration formed with a triple fillet, divided into two rectangular panels, divided again by diagonals forming lozenges in panels which are filled with an equal armed cross composed of the quadri-partite fillet and lonzenge stamp with floral infilling; within the panels nearest the spine and the foreedge, centered, is a lozenge stamp (15 mm in diameter) with the Byzantine double-headed eagle; the entire perimeter of the cover has been formed with a pallet stamp.