Skip to Content

Search Results

Search Constraints

Filtering by: Contributing Institution Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary Remove constraint Contributing Institution: Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary Date 1889 Remove constraint Date: 1889
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

  • 5999n941b?file=thumbnail
    Date: 1889
    Contributing Institution: Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary
    Description: The Mennonite (Quakertown, Pa., Berne, Ind., and North Newton, Kan.) was the official weekly English language publication of the General Conference Mennonite Church. It was formed in 1885. In 1934-35, it was published jointly as a biweekly with the Christian Evangel of the Central Conference of Mennonites. It ceased publication in 1998, in preparation for the merger of the Mennonite Church and General Conference Mennonite Church, which resulted in the establishment of Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Church Canada. It was immediately succeeded by a new publication, also called The Mennonite, that is the current publication of the Mennonite Church USA. See Smucker, J. N. and Maynard Shelley. "Mennonite, The (1885-1998) (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 4 Dec 2014.  http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite,_The_(1885-1998)_(Periodical)&oldid=123180. Digitization of The Mennonite is sponsored by Anabaptist Mennonite Digital Collaborative, a partnership among Mennonite libraries and archives, with major support from the Schowalter Foundation. The Mennonite, copyright owner for all copyrighted content in this collection, provided permission for free online access; please seek permission from The Mennonite before utilizing copyrighted materials for commercial purposes.
  • 0r967b01t?file=thumbnail
    Date: 1889
    Contributing Institution: Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary
    Description: Der Herold der Wahrheit (Chicago, Ill. and Elkhart, Ind.) was started as a monthly periodical by John F. Funk in 1864 in Chicago. Moving to Elkhart in May 1867, the periodical became semimonthly in 1882, continuing until Oct. 15, 1901 (monthly Jan. & Feb. 1899). Like its sister English-language publication, The Herald of Truth (1864-1908), the periodical targeted a North American Mennonite Church (MC) audience and in its later years had quasi-official status among many Mennonite regional conferences. It included some content not included in The Herald of Truth. See Bender, Harold S. "Herold der Wahrheit (1864-1901) (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online . 1956. Web. 22 Jun 2016.  http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herold_der_Wahrheit_(1864-1901)_(Periodical)&oldid=122973 Digitization of Herold der Wahrheit is sponsored by Anabaptist Mennonite Digital Collaborative, a partnership among Mennonite libraries and archives, with major support from the Schowalter Foundation.
  • 9k41zm67z?file=thumbnail
    Date: 1889
    Contributing Institution: Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary
    Description: The Herald of Truth (Chicago, Ill. and Elkhart, Ind.) was started as a monthly periodical by John F. Funk in 1864 in Chicago. Moving to Elkhart in May 1867, the periodical became semimonthly in 1882 and weekly in 1903. In 1908 it merged with Gospel Witness to form Gospel Herald. Although published by Funk throughout its history, the Herald of Truth became a common household publication throughout the Mennonite Church and became the quasi-official "organ" for many Mennonite regional conferences . Funk published simultaneously Der Herold der Wahrheit, a German-language version with some differing content. See Bender, Harold S. "Herald of Truth (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online . 1955. Web. 22 Jun 2016.  http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herald_of_Truth_(Periodical)&oldid=122974 Digitization of Herald of Truth is sponsored by Anabaptist Mennonite Digital Collaborative, a partnership among Mennonite libraries and archives, with major support from the Schowalter Foundation.