Agnietenberg Monastery (Mt. St. Agnes, Netherlands), late 15th century. Manuscript closely follows the text of the autograph of 1441. Colophon uses the term “compilator” rather than “auctor” of Thomas (Haemmerlein) a Kempis, suggesting that he compiled the work “after his teachers at Deventer (notably so Gerard Zerbolt van Zutphen) had written the original versions of the four parts” (from notes by seller - Avalon Operating Corporation). A 15th-century library stamp on the first page of the text, with the letters SMAI surrounding a cross, suggests that the ms. was in the Agnietenberg Monastery, where Thomas lived, and thus might also mean that it is a direct copy of the original. Physical description: 108 leaves, fine heavy rag paper; 8 in. x 6 in.; flexible later vellum cover glued over paper ms. leaf; very neatly and legibly written in red and black ink; some trimming very close to marginal notes.